Thursday, March 12, 2009

Plumbing, toastmasters and more

Yesterday evening, while the roommate was doing his part to clean up after that party, the sink went bust, causing us inconvenience and our neighbor water damage. That led to the handy man coming over last night to look at it. He couldn't fix it there and then, so he decided what he needed so that he could fix it this morning. I was left with the task of being around at 8 this morning for the guy. U think he didn't come until 9 or something like that. He had it straightened out in time for me to get to my meeting, though that would have been easier If he had finished a few minutes before. As it is, it worked out.

Regular readers (of whom there are now some) may be aware that on Thursday I have my toastmasters meeting. That remained true today, and I filled a new role for me. Whereas in the past I have filled such diverse roles as speaker, grammarian and table topics master, today I was an evaluator. When I'm asked to do something, I'm glad to do it, but on this occasion, I was somewhat apprehensive about evaluated someone else at this relatively early stage of my own development.

I made an effort to diffuse that qualm with a humorous comment referencing the inexperienced parachuting instructors of world war 2. It seemed to be effective, as I hope the rest of my impromptu speech was, in spite of its unpolished nature. Next week: I'm the timer.

Tonight is the improv class, which it seems I will be free for the first time in weeks. I suppose it's likely that I'll go, particularly if I can just go along with my roommate.

Well, those are all the thoughts that I can responsibly send out at this time. More to come, barring the unforeseen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?