Monday, March 30, 2009

McLaughlin Group

I've referenced the McLaughlin Group, but never have addressed it specifically. It's another of the things I picked up from my father. It's just a group of intelligent, well-credentialled people trying talk out the issues of the day. It's got a couple things over the other shows that have come during the cable news boom.

First, it's worth something to me that these people are physically in the same room as each other rather than in separate studios talking via split-screen. It definitely changes the dynamics when people are face to face, and I think it's for the better.

Second, I like the group of people they've got. There are the regulars such as John McLaughlin (of course), Eleanor Clift, Pat Buchanan, and Monica Crowley as well as a rotating cast of guests from week to week. The regulars are like friends, the guests are solid, and there's always a good mix.

With every new subject, it starts out civil, and eventually builds up to a level of high emotional tension. It's not manufactured or about something frivolous. It's just the pinnacle of televised discourse, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?