Saturday, March 8, 2014

On Jamaica

When I was advised of the plan to have my sister's wedding in Jamaica, I thought not just of what fun it would be or of what difficulties it would entail, but of what knowledge I had of Jamaica. I must confess that it was not much, but I will give my report with caveats on what I am unsure of. To begin with, I know that it's an island in the Caribbean. I feel as if already I'm in fairly good shape on my Jamaica knowledge by comparison with some.

I also know that Jamaica was ruled by England for sometime. Further research revealed that it also was ruled by Spain, which I ought to have guessed. All of that being the case, the Jamaican people could understandably bear some ill will against some outsiders. Jamaica also being a hotbed of tourism, it may also be that Jamaicans are not wild about Americans and visitors of any other nationality. I know that I don't much like my brushes with tourists in LA.

All of that heavy stuff aside, I gather that Jamaica is a lovely place to visit. I have heard that there are dicey places there, but I suppose that's true enough anywhere, and I fully expect a delightful experience full of natural splendor and new experiences. I suppose I will want to sample some rum, which I believe to be a fairly Jamaican drink. I have read a bit also about beers they have, but may have to play that by ear. The same will be true of the food.

As you can see, I don't know too much about the place. I am very sorry for that, but then I suppose I haven't had a lot of incentive to learn. Finally I have that, and upon my return, I expect to have a significantly more extensive familiarity with Jamaica. You can count on a full report, unless a report is made impossible by any trouble I get into on account of my current state of ignorance about Jamaica. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?