Tuesday, March 18, 2014

High Side, Low Side

Glitter is pretty. It's shiny. It shimmers in light. It's difficult to think of any context in which the bodily form is not improved by the addition of glitter. It catches the eye, and often from a perch which the eyes are already drawn to. Without belaboring the point any further, I enjoy looking at glitter when it is deployed, and I would find it hard to believe if anyone were to claim that they don't feel the same way. If I must suffer for speaking a universally held truth, then so be it.

Something that I don't think I will have to go out on a limb over is the other side of glitter. As nice as it is, it comes at a steep cost above and beyond the actual price in dollars one must pay to obtain the glitter (and I'm sure good glitter comes at a premium). Glitter is insidious. It is just impossible to get rid of. It sticks to things and stays around forever. It's hard to say whether it is worse than sand from the beach, but let's leave that for another day.

I had a run in with glitter over the weekend. I was doing a Toastmasters contest, and of course it was St. Patrick's Day themed. I had neglected to add any Irish flourishes to my outfit, but others brought green party hats. Some of them were ordinary, and some of them were just covered in glitter. I thought maybe the glitter would stay in place on the hat, but instead the glitter came off in torrents every time I touched the hat, which was regrettably often.

I was given several of the hats to take to a party later that night, and I was able to pass off most of them, but was stuck with two of the glitter hats. I should throw them away, but I can't bear it on account of the glittery beauty, but I just know they'll infect my home with glitter forever. As long as leaves in my hair and sand in my swimming trunks can hang around, I just don't think there's any peer for glitter in that regard. It's just lucky to have its looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?