Thursday, March 13, 2014

Falling Short Of Standards

I found something curious about Jamaica on the bus ride to the resort from the airport, and admittedly I may be inferring an awful lot from not much evidence, but there it is. Now, the bus took nearly two hours to get us to our destination, and so there was a lot of time to observe things, but there was one thing that I noticed at a rest stop about halfway there. I had to use the rest room, and so I went ahead in there. What I found was dismaying.

The urinal was exceptionally high off the ground. I'm not an incredibly tall man. I fall slightly under the average, I suspect. That is to say that I am slightly short for an American. I have to guess, based on the evidence presented to me throughout my trip to Jamaica, that I am even more short by comparison with Jamaica men. The ones I saw were often tall verging on very tall, although there were those that were not all that tall.

The urinals at the resort were fine.They were the sort set into the ground instead of being mounted on the wall as the ones in the rest stop were. The rest stop, I should say, was more a bar than anything, and I will not impugn the general quality of the bathroom considering bar bathrooms I have made use of in America, but I will say that in this one area, the bathroom was less than desirable. I had to stand on my tippy toes in order to do what I had to do.

This was not a pleasant experience, but I was glad to speak with fellow Americans at the resort and have my experience confirmed by men taller than I. If I should ever return to Jamaica, I will make sure to take steps to ensure that I do not suffer such an indignity again. Probably I will wear extra tall shoes, or maybe enter the restroom on stilts. In this way, I will have no cause to feel less than normal about the manner in which I use the bathroom there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?