Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Second Triumph

I am by now in Jamaica, and probably very tired from the traveling to this point. Here is something I had on my mind before the trip. On Sunday, I had my second sketch in iO West's Top Story Weekly. I have written of it a few time in the past to report my progress in writing and submitting two line jokes based on the news. I have gotten fairly good at it, and most weeks get at least one into the show. That soon was not enough.

When the show announced an open submission week (in which someone like me not on the writing staff could submit sketches), I jumped at the chance and succeeded at getting a sketch about the State of the Union in. That was a success, and I was eager for another chance. That came last week with another open submission week. The last time had been due to the Super Bowl, and this time was on account of the Oscars.


I quickly banged out two sketches. One was about the couple who found ten million dollars in gold coins. I speculated about what would happen if someone found Bitcoins instead. That one was not accepted, so it's a good thing that just before the deadline I wrote another sketch about Robin Thicke. His wife had just left him, and so I wondered what it might be like if somehow the obviously sleazy Thicke couldn't figure out why his wife would leave him.

That sketch, which I wrote in a little over an hour before the deadline (after discarding an alternate take in which Robin's wife left him because he was somehow not sleazy enough), was accepted. I was thankful that the numerous typos in my hastily written sketch were no deterrent, and I gladly left the Oscar viewing party my friends were having in order to see my second sketch first hand. It was well received.

Things even went well enough that I felt all right hanging around and socializing with friends and people associated with the show. It was a pretty successful night for me, and it could hardly have come at a better time. I do hope that another open submission week comes along soon, but more than that I would like to have my ability properly recognized in the form of an invitation to join the writing staff. We'll just see about that, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?