Monday, July 15, 2013

No End

It has happened a couple times in the last few days that I have gotten hooked on a song. I have likely described how this happens in the past. I have a way of hearing a song, new or old, and becoming consumed by it. For a stretch of hours or days, absolutely no other sounds are tolerable. I must hear that song over and over again without end until my level of interest in it is eradicated. I sometimes never wish for a return to such a song.

A few days ago, I somehow heard or learned about and then sought out Men At Work's big song, "Down Under". I found it very catchy, and I started listening to it incessantly. I also found it necessary to search for all possible live versions recorded on video. One in particular was their performance of the song at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. Being Australian (and their hit song being about being Australian), they were naturally summoned for the festivities.

Just as soon as I'd gotten over that, I found myself casually listening to a couple Alice Cooper songs, one of which was "Poison". The moment I heard it, I knew it was one I wouldn't be setting aside quickly. I starting the listening marathon, ultimately finding that the mere sound wasn't enough, addictive though it was. I ultimately found the video to be very pleasing, particularly when I'd located the uncensored version.

As I write this, I feel the compulsion waning, and it's just as well. It's been two days, and when I am listening to music or paying attention to anything else, I can't really focus on my writing, and so that has  been a struggle. I don't exactly want to not want to listen to the song anymore, but it's something beyond free will. It's not necessarily the case that another song will instantly replace it, but one will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?