Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Grand Mystery

A couple weeks ago, a friend and I were doing some brainstorming for sketch comedy writing. I don't know how it came up that we started looking at videos online, but we're easily distracted, and even the best of writers will accept any excuse to not do it. In any event, we came upon something rather jarring. We discovered that people once drank Doctor Pepper hot, and perhaps still do so. This was very troubling to us.

The video in question was an old commercial specifically promoting the practice. it seems that you boil it in a pot with lemon. My friend and I debated a number of points, not the least of which was whether people ever truly did this, or whether such ads were just a fanciful pipe dream. The evidence we uncovered after our curiosity had been piqued suggests the former. I never heard of any such thing in my life. I've heard of warm beer, but that was not even in the United States.

We questioned also what it must taste like, and whether some additional complexity to the flavor is unlocked. Surely that must be the case. We wondered also what impact this cooking process might have on the carbonation. We thought that perhaps it would go flat after boiling. Perhaps it would actually become more fizzy. Questions like that continued to pour out of us, but mostly we were deeply perplexed.

The only way to resolve the matter is to make it ourselves. I would have done so that very minute, except that we didn't have lemon and I didn't want to cut corners. To do so would only be to ensure that we never learn the full truth of the matter, and this is most assuredly a scientific mission to find just what the appeal of hot Doctor Pepper must be. I'm prepared for any reaction to the experience, but whether we love it or hate it, we will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?