Friday, July 26, 2013

Big Trip

I made my longest and most expensive trip for VHS tapes so far yesterday. For a couple of weeks, a friend and I were talking about visiting a video store a good distance away. He and some other friends of mine had been there before, reporting back that they had a great selection of cheap tapes, and I naturally was eager to check it out. It being so far away and hard to get to, I wasn't going to go alone. I had to wait on a good time for my friend to go.

The time came, and off we went in the late morning so that we could avoid both the crippling morning traffic as well as the late afternoon traffic, enjoying the relative peace of the merely terrible mid-afternoon traffic. Pleasant conversation eased the ordeal of the trip. How many people can I talk with about the Friday the 13th films for nearly an hour  without either one of us growing wearing of the subject?

We got to the video store, and I found a fine selection of tapes, although I learned that it was not as many as had been there before. Neither were the tapes available to me as cheap as the ones from before, many of which had been one dollar. That is what I am accustomed to paying. Yesterday none seemed to be that cheap. The cheapest one I did buy was two dollars. Most of the seven I picked were four or five dollars. I wound up spending over twenty, which is quite an extravagance.

Worse, I found on arriving home that the tapes were not in such great shape. One was bad enough that it waylaid both of my VCRs, requiring me to administer what I begrudgingly call "TLC". Still, the titles I came away with are promising, and I eagerly await the chance to watch them. Regrettably, they join over thirty tapes that are already in my queue. It's much like the end of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?