Thursday, May 17, 2012

Kitchen Clutter

Shortly before sitting down to write, I got rid of something that had been in the refrigerator. It was a plastic bottle of some booze that a visitor had left behind some time ago. In fact, this visit transpired at some indeterminate point last year, and that means that this bottle has sat there for a minimum of five or six months and probably more. Let it not be said that I am at ease with such a state of affairs that permits such lengthy stays in the kitchen for foods that are not ever consumed.

Our refrigerator is rather unruly though, and a number of factors contribute. To some degree or another it may be true that we all here are pack rats, or maybe I'm just trying to provide myself cover by tarring my roommates with the same brush. At the very least, I am that thing and go uncorrected by anyone. The accumulation of too much mostly not a problem, as I rapidly eat whatever I am at liberty to eat before it can spoil, but the odd thing does present a problem.

The cupboard is possibly worse than the refrigerator. There are these Korean rice sodas that are too disgusting to drink. I bought those sometime within the first month of so of moving into this place, and that was something like a year and a half ago. The balance of them are still there. I had tried to get rid of them, but it was reasonably pointed out to me that you can't recycle whole sodas, and I won't drink them. I ought to pour them out and then recycle them, and that may take another year.

Then there are the oatmeal packets that I bought before I even lived here. Luckily, those will endure probably forever, to be diminished only a couple packets at a time every few months at such times that I am desperately hungry and in no position to eat anything else. I would not be so sorry if I really hit the skids for a little bit, just so that I could once and for all clear out some of these items with the best motivation there is: fear of starving to death.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Oatmeal is good for you.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?