Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hunger Renewed

It's a tough thing when you get down to having almost no food. This is certainly worse than having absolutely no food, because in that situation your decision is dictated solely by whether or not you have money. If you have money, you buy a bunch of food. If you don't, you suffer. If you have just a little bit of food but not really what you'd like, you face somewhat of a more severe challenge with more factors in play.

If I've written about this thing before it's because this happens to me more than I'd like. It tends to be a product of not being eager to visit the store more than of not having the means to rectify the situation. It begins when I find myself entertaining the idea of eating ketchup, or oatmeal. The oatmeal, I believe I've said, has been around for an awfully long time, so I clearly don't like it. I will eat it if I'm desperately hungry.

Also suddenly a possibility when I'm that hungry is anything I've been given as a gift that involves cooking. These things, good as they are, tend to languish for some time in the refrigerator upon reception, getting consumed only at the brink of spoiling. There's something pleasant about eating a lot of baking or a steak "because you have to". This suggests that you are of a higher status than if you only have those things when you want them.

There is also always the temptation of stealing from my roommates. This has happened in the past, but not  in the last couple years. It's something that I'm proud of having stuck to, even if pride does little to quiet hunger pangs. I'll cope silently until I finally get out to the store. I say silently because there is little sympathy due to anyone with the tools to fix their problems but not the inclination. Surely tomorrow I will dig deep and find that.

2 comments:

Frenchie said...

Too funny! I am presently weighing my options as to whether I can withstand another day of the bare essentials I have in the house or if I should go shopping!

Beverly said...

Hmmm, I may have to send you some stuff.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?