Friday, April 13, 2012

Let's Talk Again

It's a low down, loathsome and despicable act to engage in small talk. I'm not saying this because I've never done, never would and don't see why people do it. I do it plenty, and see exactly what there is in it that would appeal to people. I'm sure I must have written about it before, but if I must recap my thoughts on it, I will. It's safe. It saves you from having to take a chance with anyone, those with whom you suspect you have nothing in common especially.

In truth, I grew up somewhere where I don't think that kind of small talk works very well. In the Phoenix area, there is seldom much new that one could say about the weather. After one observes that it's another hot one out there and that we could use some rain, there is little more to be said about the matter by anyone, professionals on the evening news included. In short, the weather is not terribly helpful for small talk there.

Out here in California, it's somewhat more usual, but we cannot allow ourselves to be tempted by such a thing. Do we truly need such a thing as small talk? We humans have more in common than the most universal, least objectionable observations shared by all living things. Supposing even that we might stumble upon a disagreement of some kind, isn't that just fine? Why don't we talk about just why it's such a hot one out there, and really get into it?

Come to think of it, that could conceivable lead us into talking politics, which is probably the one specific thing that small talk is meant to avoid. The more I think about it, the more I can get on board with the odious practice of small talk so long as it means I can avoid biting my tongue through yet another conversation which holds no chance of influencing the opinion of anyone involved one way or the other. No, talking weather is just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?