Saturday, April 14, 2012

Drop It

I had a real scare yesterday. There I was, hurrying out of the house like usual. I was, for once, late to an improv show. Usually I'm painfully punctual. This time I had the idea that I would be riding with a friend, but that didn't work out as I'd thought. I had therefore to take the subway, and this wouldn't matter if I had left a bit earlier. I was by this point bound to be at least ten minutes late. I wound up later than that, but the real lede of the story is when I dropped my phone.

I'm usually pretty sure-handed where that's concerned, and can think of only a couple of times when I dropped this iPhone. I don't think I'd ever let it go over anything but a soft surface, such as carpeting. I had of course bought a nice case to protect it, but I compromised on durability to ensure that the phone wouldn't be a clunky ruiner of my lines. It has thus far been a good steward of the phone. Was it enough on this occasion?

It was plenty good enough, as it turned out. The case is slight, but it has a lip around it that rises slightly above the screen of the phone. This way, it is unharmed if the phone lands flat on its screen. Now, I don't react coolly and with dignity when something happens to a precious thing like that phone. I cursed, and was panicky for a few moments as I examined the phone for damage after it fell from my grasp and tumbled down onto the hard floor of my apartment's open-air hallway.

This time it was all right, but I am unsure that I will be so lucky in future incidents. One can only have so much luck, or so it would seem. What is there to be done, thought? There are certain reasonable precautions that I feel I've taken, and then you have to leave it in God's hands (if in fact such things are not beneath Him). You have to have a fatalistic attitude. Whatever's going to happen is going to happen whatever you try to do about it, and if it's something bad, it's just a phone.

2 comments:

Frenchie said...

Friend who live on a boat in a neighboring marina proudly displayed their iPhones in clunky boxes. I asked if they were water proof, living on a boat and all. They said no but they never worry if they drop them. Otter Boxes, they called them. Hmmmm!

Beverly said...

There are water proof otter cases for phones.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?