Saturday, April 28, 2012

An Epic Run Of Fun

When I have the discipline, I try to shy away from listening to my music while I'm out and about. I reason that I didn't leave the house so that I could continue to isolate myself with the basic trappings of my own home. I presumably wanted to experience what the rest of the world has to offer, or I'd be a shut-in. Now, on a longer trip, I'll perhaps be more willing to listen to my music, although there is always a book I'd like to be reading.

The point is, though, that I want people to see that I'm open to interaction with them- that I'm not preemptively rejecting them. Sometimes that's a decision that I regret or at least question after the fact. The other day, I had a string of rather interesting encounters that might never have been if I had show my commitment to my tunes. There was the pretty girl coming into my building as I was leaving and the couple of words we exchanged, but that was nothing.

It really began as I came up to the library. For some odd reason, this guy exiting as I was going in decided to tip me off to a good-looking girl who was in there. I later thought about what he said, as I hadn't caught every word. I wonder if what he was saying was that I somehow looked fit to be with her. Maybe I just want that to be true, because it sounds silly to think of it. I looked at her, and he at least wasn't wrong about her looks. Her clothes were attention-grabbing, as were her tattoos. I'm not accustomed to her ilk at the library.

On my way back home, there was more. Right back outside the library, an odd-looking guy got really curious about the DVDs I had selected. Somewhat at a loss, I let him see them. An equally odd middle-aged lady expressed surprise and seemingly took exception to the man's presumption. I was about as put off by her concern on my behalf as by the liberties he had taken. I tried to head off as quickly as I could manage.

When I thought there was no more that might happen, I was walking past the elementary school and saw a grey bouncy ball fly out into traffic. It was the sort of thing that happens on TV that never happened in my childhood. A man driving some SUV stopped just short of it and seemed at a loss as to how he might proceed. Just as he was exiting his vehicle, I grabbed the ball (which was now rolling back to my side of the street) and advised him that "It's ok."

I then set about trying to get the children their ball back. I wasn't sure how, at first. They have the school yard fenced off, and there's some manner of creeping vine there to cover the fence. They sure have those kids locked up tight. In any event, there was a hole in the fence just large enough the squeeze the ball through. I accepted the thanks of the children and went on my way, seeing myself in a small way as some sort of hero. It was all the social interaction I needed for the day.

2 comments:

Frenchie said...

What a lot of fun! Life I'd good!

Beverly said...

I could visualize the entire day, thanks. It was a good day.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?