Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Fight Below

I had no business being out of my bed at such a late hour, let alone out of my apartment, but in the early hours of the morning I was lugging my clean, dry laundry back upstairs. I'd finally had enough, and decided that even though it was around midnight, I finally had to have clean clothes. Somewhere around two hours later, this decision paid off with a rather remarkable sight seen by yours truly. I trust you'll be engaged.

I would have just hustled on by the barbeque area that looks out onto the street three stories below, but I heard voices. Sounds carry in that still night air, but this was not just casual conversation that would just have made it to my ears. I think I would have heard these agitated words had their been a storm blowing like crazy. I decided that I had to stop for a moment and take myself a gander. Im always in the market for a spectacle.

It certainly was worth the trouble. I set down the laundry and walked over to where I could see and hear best. I discerned two women and a man in a heated confrontation. One of the women seemed especially put out by something. The other woman was clearly entangled in the matter, but seemed to be a victim of the first one's aggression in this moment, if not in the one leading up to what I was now seeing. I don't quite know what the man's place in this was.

What I know for sure is that the second women fled in terror and the first seemed to be just spoiling for a fight. She stalked off in the same direction, never ceasing her belligerent, rather blue stream of fighting words. I don't know what became of her quarry, or the man for that matter. When the scene transitioned away from where I had a good view, I decided that it was time to fold clothes. The rest of those awake on my street undoubtedly felt their interest wane once the noise died down. I do still wonder what it was all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?