Sunday, September 4, 2011

Unstable Table

I don't eat at sit-down restaurants all that often, so it's a fairly memorable experience when I do. Even if it's a mundane, typical eating experience, it looms larger for me than it does for others. The other day, I had what would be a unique eating experience for anyone, but which for me was nothing short of monumental. It was not exactly a positive experience, but it was one which I found rather interesting and worthwhile.

I have made mention of my penchant for attractive women. God help me, I look at them when they are abound. There my friend and I were at our table when some particularly good looking women passed by. I, not in a very subtle manner, turned to look at then when they had gone by. Nearby was a table of old folks, and I had remarked to myself that the waitress's wiles were likely to be of no avail in securing a strong tip.

I had not counted on one particular old man at that table. Aggressively, assiduously, he secured my attention. Once he had it, he made it plain that he wholeheartedly endorsed my flagrant ogling of the women. This was in the presence of old ladies at his own table. I had assumed that one was his wife, but perhaps I was mistaken. Memorably, he loudly proclaimed to me past the women to his left that "there's nothing wrong with looking". There was no vocal support of this from the woman in question.

It made me think twice about my gawking at the women. I didn't feel like I was being creepy in looking at the women, but the old man seemed terribly, terribly so. If he was being a creep, then maybe I was too. I wasn't making a big, vocal, obnoxious scene of it, but does that really separate me from his acts? At the very least, I can hang my hat on the fact that when I enthusiastically talk to someone as he did to me, I get the picture when they are badly turned off by it as I was by him. That's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?