Sunday, September 18, 2011

An Egg To Stand On

I previously have written of my one-time ability to make only scrambled eggs as well as my exuberant discovery of an aptitude for boiling eggs. After a few dozen eggs made in the latter style, I had grown tired of it. I still have yet to really get the hang of peeling them, and my system is slow to adapt to their digestion. I still like them, and definitely would even if the only reason was my fondness for 'Cool Hand Luke'.

That aside, I have a new love in the egg arena. I had been as inept in frying eggs as I had been in doing almost anything else with them except for scrambling. I think I just didn't understand how they were done. I kept trying to flip them well before the whites were finished, and consequently the yolks would invariably rupture and compel me to hastily convert the egg to a scrambled one of mediocre quality. It didn't even occur to me that flipping was only necessary for an egg over easy.

I now have worked out how to make that egg over easy as well as sunny side up. They certainly are tasty, and require little I didn't have already. I didn't have any butter, so I had to go and buy some. I would previously have just bought the cheapest spread, but on this occasion I resolved to only buy real butter. It's remarkable how much more it costs when you insist on the genuine article. Ordinary salted butter costs several times its artificial equivalent. Such is the cost of living authentically.

Presently I am in that honeymoon period that you will have noticed I experience with every new food that I "discover". Inevitably I get carried away, and consume far too much for my own good in a very short period of time. I then get sick of it for a good long time, which may persist for months or longer. I don't anticipate this happening until it does, usually. Well, I can imagine not liking fried eggs at some point in the future, but it won't transpire within this first dozen eggs, I can say that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?