Friday, September 2, 2011

The Lady And Her Why

I have conflicting feelings about the very beautiful. I find them as attractive as anyone- the women at least (though I recognize the handsomeness of the men in an objective way). Not considering myself to be among the beautiful though, I harbor some negative feelings. Among them is the hard to shake attitude that the beautiful perhaps do not seek out knowledge with the same vigor as those who actually require it to get by in life.

So it was that I was a bubbling cauldron of emotions while waiting in line behind a rather attractive, statuesque young woman at the library. I was, as I am every three or so days, checking out some movies. You may trust that it was a good balance of fun and 'important' films. I wondered about the lady's purpose, as I did not notice what she might be checking out. As I always am in such cases, I was surprised just to see someone of her beauty within the library's walls.

As it turned out, she was there to procure a library card. I found that rather interesting. I can't help but wonder what her use of the library will be. Might she be an inveterate reader or cinephile as I am? It's possible. Might she need its computers? I doubt it. Might this be a well-intentioned plan to start doing any of those things that is destined to fail? It's possible, but I hope that doesn't prove to be the case. After all, it's reasonable to suppose my local branch is hers, and I would hope to see her there again.

How does this impact my above-expressed thinking about the beautiful? I guess it's a good reminder that there are at least a select few who engage in needless acts of learning and hard work. With that lesson out of the way, I can get down to just admiring the form of the lady in question as I can call it up from my memory. Clearly my priorities are off. I ought to have worked harder at committing her likeness to memory rather than questioning her motives in coming to the library. There's something to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?