Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Sorry."

Whenever I get to thinking too highly of my fellow man, he makes sure to remind me that he doesn't come close to deserving it on a consistent basis. A few do, but most don't, and I think that the minority may live someplace else. If any of them are around, then I just keep missing them. The ones I see are mostly acting very poorly, and they don't appear very sorry for it even if they are at all aware. It's unpleasant.

It doesn't take much to get me so down, but maybe you'll agree that this thing I saw is sufficient. I'm always out on the sidewalk going about my business. I coexist with the car, the cyclist and the fellow pedestrian. I do my best to, anyway. Sometimes I'm less than aware, and I feel lousy when that's the case. If I feel in the wrong, my apologies are sincere. I saw this guy a bit ago who doesn't live up to any of those conditions.

He was riding towards me on his bicycle. This was on the sidewalk leading to my building from the subway. Closer to me than him was a young woman. I was admiring her looks even before I saw him. I doubt whether she was admiring mine, but she had to have seen me before she saw him, naturally. I didn't think anything would happen, because he would have to slow down or stop to wait for the opportunity to pass. He didn't wait. He recklessly rode past her, striking her side as he went.

I guess she was more scared than hurt. I wanted to say something, but figured I would just sound stupid asking if she was all right or observing that the incident was bad. The guy who did the thing offered the line which makes the title of his post. My opinion is that it isn't really adequate, but I don't suppose he meant it anyway. I would have been damn sorry, but then I wouldn't have done it anyway, and I think that's what she would have hoped for most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?