Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What Will I Do?

As I write this, my mind is still on a visit to a sushi restaurant the day before. It had gotten be a habit to go there before my improv class on Monday nights, as they have a 'happy hour' then. I had started going because I needed a ride to class. I didn't want to be a jerk of course, and so I would begrudgingly order iced tea and perhaps edamame. Generally we would get some complimentary salad and miso soup. These I liked ok as well. It was a tolerable situation.

I was not a sushi fan. As I said, I just wanted to get to class and to spend time with my friends. Over time, they applied gentle pressure on me to try the sushi again after unfavorable experiences years ago. I finally relented, and owned up to finding what I ate not bad. I would not go so far as to say I loved it, but merely that I could now count on something tolerable when friends insisted on getting sushi. I was glad for this, as I consider it unwise to get something a restaurant is not known for.

Oh, but how that sushi grew on me! Week by week, I tried different things and found myself liking it more and more. It got to where I was sorry if the sushi trip did not happen due to a canceled class or a time crunch. Still, I could say that I was just going there and eating it out of necessity. I still did need that ride, even if I could get to class on my own with little difficulty. The ride made things easier, so I could justify the sushi.

Now what tragedy has happened? Well, I am no longer in that class, having moved up to the next level and a class in a different neighborhood on a different night. What does that mean? There won't be any pre-class sushi anymore, and there won't be any cover provided by having to go there. The next time I have sushi, I will have no choice but to admit that I'm eating it voluntarily because I enjoy it. Well, as I heard it said in a Kris Kristofferson movie, this isn't the beginning of the end, but rather the end of the beginning. Now we enter the second act of my enjoyment of sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?