Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sharing Is Caring

It's easy to get disheartened after being witness too many times to the worst nature of humanity. Much of what I see around me out there is impoliteness, ignorance and violence, and without anything to balance that out, life would be harder to live. Happily, I am often enough reminded that there are good people out there displaying positive attributes, and I can go on much more easily with the knowledge that I am not alone in trying to be good most of the time.

A pair of gentlemen who I regard as kindred spirits were there at the library likewise doing their best. Few people at that great institution give much thought to preserving the tranquility for which it was once known, but they were making sure to employ earbuds to keep the noise of their laptop from encroaching on others. Regrettably, they appeared to possess only one pair, but were gladly sharing it, with each receiving the sound from one.

I do wonder what they were listening to. Specifically, I wonder how many channels of audio it had. The reason I wonder that is that it occurs to me that with anything more than mono sound, there is the distinct possibility that neither would actually be hearing the entire sound mix of the thing. In all likelihood, they were not at risk of any such thing given the nature of internet video and sound quality. It is improving though, so who knows?

That's an irrelevant aside, though. The important thing was that at least this once I saw a couple of people easily and successfully dividing things without any discord or imposition. It may have been a goofy thing to look at, but I much prefer it to the more common senseless, irrational conflict that I see more often than not. Here's hoping that we are all able to share the earbuds rather them fighting over them and winding up losing them entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?