Thursday, February 5, 2009

Toastmasters

As I previously mentioned, I joined Toastmasters. To recap, it's an international organization for the improvement of public speaking and communication.

Last week, I was unable to fulfill my roles for that meeting, and thus committed to do so this week. At the beginning of the meeting, people who have a certain role are called on to describe it for newcomers. I was evidently able to adequately describe my roles as grammarian and provider of the Word of the Day. I then delivered the Word of the Day itself ("Dolorous"), and began the task of tracking grammatical infractions, which I then announced towards the end of the meeting.

I also was called upon to speak during Table Topics. This is a part of the meeting which you shorten or lengthen depending on the pace of the meeting. The person tasked with officiating Table Topics offers topics which willing members offer to speak about. I was asked to speak about the subject of fulfillment, and to describe a perfect day which would indeed be fulfilling.

I was awarded a ribbon for being the best Table Topics speaker, which was encouraging. Next week, I'll be giving my first speech, which is the "Ice Breaker" speech introducing myself to the club.

I may be going to an improv class tonight (I have gone twice before, and would like to make it a regular thing. If I do so, I'll offer description of it and my successes and failures therein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?