Friday, February 6, 2009

On Rain

It's raining here in LA. LA feels a lot like Phoenix in the sense that it doesn't feel terribly well equipped for a rainstorm. In many places in every neighborhood, the water pools in the worst places. Actually, this can happen even when it's not raining, so much do people here love unleashing their hoses on the hapless landscape.

There are certainly those who dislike the rain, and it can be a severe inconvenience even for the rest of us. One of the last times that it rained, I was on my way to a shoot, and had no intention of being delayed by the weather. On this occasion, I needed to get across the street to catch a bus. Unfortunate, there was a torrent of water rising above the sidewalk, and something like a foot deep on the street. With the bus visible on the other side of the street and no apparent alternative, I rushed across the street, utterly soaking my beat-up sneakers. It was a little like fording the river on Oregon Trail.

I love the rain nonetheless. The precarious health of our environment depends on it. It feels ok to stay inside and do little when it's raining. I don't like it when the Dodgers get rained out or delayed, but delays have been seldom and cancellations have happened about never. I guess that's all that I felt moved to write about the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?