Monday, February 2, 2009

The Best Around

I'd like to make this clear, here and now. Warren Zevon is my favorite musician of all time. Why? He invented edgy. The backing instrumentals were absolutely sound, but they were the foundation for lyrics that were at times dark, funny, touching, raucous and illuminating.

I think that everyone starts with "Werewolves of London". That's fine, and it's a good, addictive song, but it's just the first breath of a body of work packed with nothing but great songs. Currently, I can't stop listening to "Mr. Bad Example. Previously, it's been tracks like "French Inhaler", "Life'll Kill Ya", "Mohammed's Radio", "Frank and Jessie James", and on and on and on.

Sometimes he has my heart pumping and my breathing heavy. Sometimes he makes me want to cry. I get truly choked up watching his final appearance on the Late Show. It feels like such a loss that he's dead. It seems like every word was written with the knowledge of his fate in mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Werewolves of London" is one of my favorite classic rock tracks. Did you notice that Kid Rock sampled the piano from "Werewolves" in "All Summer Long" last year? I'll try to check out more of Zevon's stuff. My heart gets pumping more for Megan Fox though...

Calder Holbrook said...

I can definitely appreciate your opinion about Megan Fox. I've been mulling over my list of most attractive female celebrities. She may well be on it somewhere.

Anonymous said...

That's a read I look forward to!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?