Wednesday, January 8, 2014

New Collection

I'm awfully happy to have gotten a new turntable for Christmas. It arrived a couple days ago, and I was taken back to the days when I had my Sega Genesis and no games, because I had this turntable and no records. I contented myself with frantically worrying over whether it would play properly or not (which shows I've matured: as a boy, I pretended to play video games with my Genesis). I was resolved, of course, to get some records as soon as possible.

Yesterday I went to a local thrift store and bought a few. Anything would have been OK, but I was hopeful that I would find some music I actually would enjoy. Happily, it worked out that way. The record I've enjoyed the most so far is "Running On Empty" by Jackson Browne. I like his music, and that album has the two songs of his that I know very well at all. I only wish that Warren Zevon was in the mix.

There were three other albums. I bought "That Was The Week That Was" by Tom Lehrer, who I'm not as infatuated with as I was in college, but who I still like alright. I also bought an album of songs from "My Fair Lady". It's not the really well-known cast from Broadway or film, but the songs are still solid.  The record is not in awesome shape, but it's all right. The final album I deemed worthy was a single by Salt-N-Pepa, "R U Ready". I never was an enormous fan of theirs, but I liked them passably well, and this was an album imported from England. That seemed like a draw.

I will of course get more albums in the future, and probably their storage will begin to take up as outsized a share of my living space as my VHS collection, but they're at a manageable level for now. Perhaps these first ones will be as forgotten as the first tapes that made up that tape collection, but for now I'm awfully fond of them as I learn about vinyl records, turntables and the like. I'm enjoying it all very well for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?