Saturday, January 4, 2014

Evolution Of Collection

I am reaching a different level in my collection of VHS tapes. I'm having a hard time remember exactly how I got going. When I bought the first tapes I have now, it was not unusual to buy them. They were still fairly current technology. When I got going more recently, I think I bought the VCR and then started looking for tapes, I found it slow going, not really knowing then where to look outside of the nearest thrift stores. I was not particular in what I bought.

I started doing better at finding places that had good ones, and it soon got to where I was buying at least a few more tapes than I could manage to watch. Some of my friends knew I was buying tapes, but I didn't have so many, and I wasn't making a big deal of it to anyone. They might say to me how they'd seen a tape they thought I might like, or they might give me a tape, but that was the extent of it. My collection was a modest one.

Eventually, I started to have enough of them where I was a little proud of my collection. I started taking pictures of the tapes and posting them to Facebook. People noticed that, which is no surprise considering how many there were. It's evident that plenty of people have VHS tapes around, and unlike me, they are not eager to continue devoting space in their hope to the storage of said tapes. The tapes seem to endure beyond the lifespan of their VCRs, to say nothing of their actual interest in watching them.

Such people, when they break down and decide to get rid of the tapes, still don't want to throw them out. I hate throwing things out myself. They instead seek some place that might actually put them to use. That might be a thrift store, which is why those are good places to find tapes sometimes, but if they know someone like me, that's who they prefer to seek out. That being the case, people now often come to me looking to unload some vast quantity of tapes. For now I'm accepting them, but I don't know if that will always be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?