Monday, January 13, 2014

More Albums

I've bought some more records for my player. I have nine altogether now. The big bookstore downtown which entertains as many amateur photographers as it does devotees of books. In fact they have considerably more than books. I have, as I think I may have said, often bought VHS tapes there, and now I turn to that bookstore for vinyl records. They have many more of those than they do my beloved tapes. Vinyl records are significantly more popular in general.

I bought two albums by Linda Rondstadt. I like her work, but the only albums of hers that I really have any interest in are those in which she records songs written by Warren Zevon, whose own versions I tend to prefer anyway. That's not to impugn Rondstadt. She has a lovely voice, and I have no doubt that I will enjoy the albums. I just wish they would have had some of Zevon's own albums. I'll get some yet. Anyway, I have "Living In The USA" and "Hasten Down The Wind".

I also bought an album of duets by Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge. Kristofferson is one of my absolute favorite musicians, and I must thank my dear mother for instilling that in me. One of his albums (of greatest hits, I think) was on cassette tape in her car, and was listened to often. Coolidge has a pleasing voice, and I like how it plays against his raspy one. I expect I'll enjoy that album very well too.

I bought an album by Buddy Miles. He recorded "Them Changes", a fantastic song which I hit upon while enjoying the film "Formula 51" (as it is called in the US. It bears another title in England). I could listen to that song ten thousand times, and almost have already. I may wear through that part of the record, but the rest may be comparatively spared. Of course, it's a bit scratchy. Someone obviously was a more consistent fan of Miles' work than I.

The final album is one by Starship, and I was a bit dubious about it, but resolved that a dollar was no extravagant sum for an album that even might be very enjoyable. Certainly I still enjoy "We Built This City" well enough, although I am years past the time when I would have worn it out as enthusiastically as I might have when I was twenty and had just then happened upon the song. Anyway, it's the last of the new batch. We will see how they all play collectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?