Sunday, June 16, 2013

A First In Slaking Thirst

I was at a birthday party the other night. This one was distinguished from the rest by a number of things, among them being its extreme distance from home and the fact that I was attending it after having come more or less directly from an improv performance. It took place at a bar, which is all too common, but I was not entirely sorry for that on this occasion. The birthday girl sang with her band, there was pole dancing, and much gaiety.

I bought myself a drink on arriving, and took my time in drinking it. Soon enough though, I found I had  exhausted it. I was resigned to buying myself another drink, when something rather incredible happened. A couple of guys came over, complimenting my mustache. That happens sometimes, and it is regrettably seldom that the compliment comes from an appealing source. It never comes from a woman.

These guys did more than say nice things about my mustache. They also insisted on a picture with me, and I acceded to that. That's something that happens sometimes too, even at the urging of a woman on occasion. In such cases, it's more my curly hair than my mustache. Anyway, these guys got their picture, and I figured that would be the end of it, but it turned out that they had more still in store for me that night.

It was then that they bought me a drink. This is something that I think has never happened. No stranger ever bought me a drink. Frankly, I was rather suspicious of their motives at that point, thinking that maybe I misheard them and they wanted me to buy them drinks, or that they could even have some manner of amorous designs on me, but they seemed more taken with the women at the bar in that respect and did not more than converse with me as we drank our respective drinks. The evening went on and I was left, upon arriving home, to contemplate the remarkable events of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?