Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Big D (Not Dallas)

I made another of those big moves in my diet recently. English Muffins had lost their appeal as a breakfast item. I got the idea that I was taking in too much starch and not enough Vitamin D, so I did something that is radical only for me. I bought a jug of milk. I had previously regarded it as a risky investment, as I can recall few times that I managed to consume an entire jug of milk before its expiration.

The desire to maintain good health makes you do crazy things though, and so it was that I bought milk to have cereal for breakfast as I did most days in childhood. It has an interesting impact on the morning schedule, or at least it's mildly interesting to me. Instead of taking several minutes and dictating when I have my first cup of coffee, it is instead the readiness of the coffee that dictates when I pour the first cup of coffee. Also I find that the coffee sits a bit before I have any, because the hot coffee and the cold milk do not mingle well.

I am honestly excited about opening up a whole world of possibilities as meals go which was previously closed off due to the absence of milk at home. There are all the cereals to explore, of course. I am eager to reconnect with old favorites and to discover newer ones (probably the healthful sorts). I also can do such things as making macaroni and cheese and baking things like cookies or brownies, although that last possibility may be a bridge too far.

As it's just been a couple of days since the milk's purchase, it's too soon to say that it was a big success and that it will endure. Probably I will stick with it for a while, but it remains uncertain whether cereal for breakfast will have the legs of English muffins or of just coffee. Those were staples for a long time, and milk has much to prove, or perhaps it is I who must prove that I have changed into someone mature enough to make an effort with food. That may take more than buying milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?