Thursday, April 11, 2013

Ramp-Up

I have lately been expanding my horizons a bit. For some time, I was just doing improv with my team in Monkey Butler. For that matter, it was the only comedy I was doing at all outside of personal writing endeavors. It could be said that I was getting into a rut and suffering for lack of numerous, varied opportunities to learn and perform. What I was doing wasn't bad, but it also probably wasn't enough. I have lately remedied that.

It began with a class being taught by a friend. I took the class, and found myself challenged by a different way of doing things, as well as by the new people with whom I was doing them. We bonded and grew together over the next weeks and had ourselves a nice graduation show. I thought then that it would end there, although I expected friendships to endure. It was not to be as I expected, I'm happy to say.

My fellow classmates had formed a team, and I was delighted to be invited to attend a dinner they were having the night following our performance (if I remember right). As I was not a member of the team, it was a kind gesture. More time passed, and I found myself invited to join the team. I gladly did so, although I was a bit apprehensive about how it would go for me. It has so far gone very well, and I have learned much by being part of an independent team.

I'm now performing considerably more often than I was, I'm enjoying the different methods of the team coach (and the distinction between a 'coach' and a teacher'). I'm even finding this second team is leading to a new degree of performance opportunities. It's all happening at a gratifying rate, and it's very much in tune with how things have been going for me this year. I find myself thinking yet again that this is the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?