Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Engagement Zone

Another baseball season is upon us, and while I am ordinarily loathe to be topical in my writing, here's something on baseball in the general area of the season's first day. In fact, it was a couple days ago, but the point is that I am a fan and I watch baseball games, or listen to them on the radio. Sometimes I even attend, but that's seldom these days. When I went to nearly every Dodgers home game, it was easy to stay engaged, but it's harder now.

I'm too busy to take in many games. I'm out of the house or indisposed many evenings and weekend afternoons, and even when I could be watching a game, there are other things I want to do and am not willing to let drop for the duration of the season. Still, I can catch a game every now and then, whether it is on free TV or the radio. I'll make one game in person if it kills me, but it'll mainly be those two things.

The games that I miss, I mean to be aware of nonetheless. I intend to read articles, columns and box scores. That shouldn't be tough at all, with information being plentiful and my will being strong. It is, like so many things, a matter of routine. If every day I have a look at the previous day's action, or that of the very same day, it goes from being a deliberate, disciplined act to being a habit. When it's a habit, It's no longer something I have to even think about keeping up.

Making matters easier will be the fantasy baseball league I'm in. As I wish very much to win that, I will be checking my team daily, and in so doing I cannot help but stay informed on the Dodgers and the rest of the league. Yes, I do believe this year will be one where I contentedly am quite knowledgeable about baseball, and it does not concern me one bit that it will make no difference to the overwhelming majority of people I know. You must do things for yourself, or else the reward can never satisfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?