Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Burlesque Night In America

I have mentioned the new improv team that I have joined, and I think I might have said something about some of the aspects of being on this team that are new to me, one of which is the regular scheduling of outings meant to foster esprit-de-corps. The first outing was salsa dancing, and I was content to participate only to fulfill my obligation to the team. I would not have gone otherwise, I assure you.

Happily, the next month's outing was to be planned by me. I gave it some thought and reasoned that I would bring something to the table that no one else would have. After all, that's why I'm on the team. I do things in shows that only I would do. What I settled on was a burlesque show. I've been to a few, enjoying them all tremendously. There is the obvious sex appeal in them, but there is music, dance, costume, character and story in them. I felt the team would enjoy it.

They were all game, and so it remained to wait for the day. I worried off and on about the certainty of getting tickets and good seats, and like all worrying, it was senseless. Without buying reserved seats in advance, we had fine seats. Those of us who arrived promptly even got leis, as the show was Hawaiian in theme. I worried still over the latest team member to arrive, and finally found myself worrying over whether or not team members disliked (and even were offended by) the burlesque after all. It was more senselessness, of course.

The show was great, and especially popular with the team were a ukulele-playing comedienne and a woman who performed a pizza-themed fan dance. I liked those myself, as well as the host, a particular dancer I'd seen before and the lone male performer of the show (who really had a great energy and idea). We capped off the night at a rather fashionable local pizza place, drinking sangria while seated around an outdoor fireplace. It was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?