Friday, March 15, 2013

One Potato Two

When there is no one to eat any of the food you buy except for you, it can get problematic. If I buy a jug of milk, I have to drink it consistently. It will spoil if I lose interest for a few days. The same is true for bananas, if I buy very many. I've gotten turned off of bananas lately for that very reason, and I haven't been in the habit of buying milk for a long time. They say that adults don't need it anyway, which I'm happy to believe.

Even foods that should last a while can be a problem. I have been eating a lot of baked potatoes, and buy them in sacks of ten pounds. I should buy the five pound sacks, but the miniscule price difference always dissuades me. I get down to those last six or seven potatoes, and they're sprouting roots. They look pretty rough, but looks can be deceiving, so I only rid myself of the ones where I'm sure they must be rotten.

Still, even the survivors at that point are under suspicion. I really can't know they're all right until I've split them open, and that only comes after some thirteen minutes in the microwave or nearly an hour in the oven. I can't allow a situation where too few acceptable potatoes reach the stage of readiness for eating, or worse, where none do. I therefore cook more potatoes than necessary, regarding some as expendable.

It does happen that all the potatoes come out all right, leaving me in the position of having potatoes I don't want to eat right away. I see that as better than too few, but it is a struggle to keep myself from eating the extras and getting an upset stomach. As I think I've said, I'm much like a goldfish: I'm prone to eat all that there is, even if it kills me. I just have to learn to leave that extra for later, or else to just buy the five pound sack of potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?