Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Couple Places Down

I am proud of myself, not because of advances I've made professionally and personally, but because I have managed to knock a couple neighborhood restaurants off my list of places I still have to go. There are so many neat-looking places around here, and I'm reluctant to eat out, so it's been slow going, and just think of all the turnover that adds to the list! In the last couple days, I have rewarded myself for aforementioned professional victories by letting myself eat out.

It's not all going to be good, of course, but that's why you try places. On an especially good day a couple days ago, I capped things off by going to the cheese steak place nearby. It looked authentic as hell, and though I'd heard mixed reviews, I thought I'd like to go. It was not only on my list, it represented about the most convenient option given that I was traveling from one place to another and had little time to deviate from a straight line. The place was all right, but far too expensive for the money.

The ownership evidently is from the country of Georgia, and a patron who exited before I'd gotten my order said what I understand to be goodbye in Russian. I wasn't sure if that's what they speak in Georgia, but I decided I would try saying I love you in Russian. I'd learned it from Charles Bronson in "The Great Escape", so it might have been really wrong. At the last minute, I lost my nerve and just left with my food.

The second place went better. I'd heard about this fantastic sandwich place a while back, and when a friend of mine and I were looking for someplace to eat, we nearly ate there. It turned out that they insisted on cash, and we didn't have enough, so the dream was deferred. The restaurant later moved to a different space nearby, and it remained on my list. Yesterday was the day I got it done. Their pastrami sandwich was solid, and I hope to return to sample more of the menu.

There are many more places on my list, and maybe I'll never get to them all. Some will close or move before I get to them, and there will always be new places. I will also always be slow to go out like that, so it's probably doomed before it begins, this quest of mine. I still must pursue it though, tilting at windmills as I understand Don Quixote was given to do. I must confess I haven't gotten to that book yet.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

It's a hard job but somebody has to do it!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?