Thursday, February 14, 2013

To Eat And Reminisce

I was thinking, with something yet to be written for this blog today, about a restaurant that my school friends and I used to go to for lunch. Maybe I've written about this already, but I don't check anymore, so desperate am I now regularly to fulfill my obligations to myself. Anyway, this was when I was attending a rather informally-arranged school that had broken away from a marginally more conventional charter school. Things were kind of loose.

We went through a few evolutions even in the time I was at this school, which survived my departure more easily than it did that of its lone original teacher. At first, we were meeting in an office park, and ate lunch at its little cafe. We also, it seems to me, ate at a Schlotzky's, which was a sandwich place. I recall eating at a donut place, which doesn't exactly make for a very conventional lunch, I'll admit. As I said, thinks were loose.

By the time we were meeting in the meeting room of a library, we had mostly settled on one place to eat, some aberrations aside. Called "Choji's", it was Japanese fast food. I mainly recall getting rice bowls, which I believe were commonly chicken or beef, and either teriyaki or spicy somehow. I could go either way on those points. What was mandatory was taking advantage of the first and last RC Cola fountain that I ever saw.

The biggest day we ever had there was when, at my initial suggestion, we all bought shirts that they were selling. I think it was an ironic movement, so odd and presumptuous did it seem that this humble restaurant would offer shirts with the expectation that anyone would want one. Anyway, whimsy struck us, and we were won over by the friendly mascot of the restaurant depicted on the shirt in cartoon form.  It was not very ironic ultimately.

This has to have been well over ten years ago, now. Maybe it's closer to fifteen. I was very distraught when my shirt was destroyed and the location we went to closed. The last I heard, there was still one in a far-flung suburb. Perhaps I will get there and replace my shirt someday to retain my ties to fond memories of the past. I don't think that indulging oneself in nostalgia much is healthy, but a little bit can't hurt.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?