Friday, February 8, 2013

Assortment

With yesterday's sales and acquisitions at the used bookstore, I am as interested in ever in reading. I have those books I bought to read, and I feel revitalized by having removed from my inventory some books that I was not eager to read. I feel the weight of every book in my possession. Each one that I have not read is one that I want to read, and all the books yet to be read create a crushing pressure that actually makes me read less. Better almost to not have any books but the one I'm reading.

Presently I'm reading "Johnny Got His Gun", and I've been on it a little while. I have a hard time fitting in reading at home, as there are many other distractions and necessary things to do there. It works out better for me to read while traveling, as I have to make use of all the time on buses and trains somehow or another. Even there may be found distractions. I have to leave my headphones behind in order to not resort to music or podcasts on my phone.

That just creates the problem of a podcast backlog. If I spend the time on public transit reading, I am not spending it getting caught up on my favorite podcasts. I can't listen to those at home because they are too distracting while I'm writing. At home is where I listen to music. I have just got to find a balance on this home and away business for these three things that I'm trying to achieve. Right now, I'm not having much luck.

If I focus on the reading thing to the exclusion of the rest, then I am getting somewhere. I have a little bit of momentum on that front, and the book is getting interesting. Providing more incentive is the next book in line for me, which is a biography of Warren Zevon written by his wife. I am awfully excited to read that, as I have been a fan for some years and now listen to his music much of the time. When I get to it (and if it so warrants), I will probably have some comment.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Ah, so many books, so little time!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?