Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Might I Go

I founded out a number of days ago that a friend I see seldom these days was set to perform at an open mic in my neighborhood. The open mic was, regrettably, set to take place right during a prior engagement of mine. I couldn't bear to miss it though, and so I pushed the other thing forward and rushed out right afterward. I'm quite glad that I did, for it was a worthwhile experience in a number of ways.

The open mic was at a nearby establishment that one might call a cafe. They mainly promote their pies, which I gather are both of sweet and savory varieties. As I've been attempting a frugal lifestyle lately, I resolved only to get something to drink. I wasn't much for the idea of coffee so late in the evening as 9 o'clock, but I did like the idea of getting tea after being advised that this place does tea right. They did not have my first choice, but the one I was recommended worked out nicely.

It was a neat place. Everyone comments on how far back it goes from the street, and I was no exception. There is just tons of space there, reaching back to a tent behind the building proper. It's all neat and homey, making it far more conducive to hanging around and talking or working on some creative endeavor or another. If I were the type to write outside of the house, I might do it there, but of course I can't break routine or brave much stimulation when writing.

My lovely friend, the reason for my presence there, was great, of course. She sang, she played the ukulele and told jokes, winning over friend and stranger alike. She expressed hopes of performing there again, and I hope she does so. I always enjoy her company and rarely am graced with it, but I also hope she becomes a regular there so that I have more excuses for attending the place. I just know I won't go otherwise.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?