Tuesday, January 8, 2013

No Rain

I have been in a drought of sorts lately. It's not that I have been unable to write anything. In some respects, I have been as consistent as ever in terms of output, although I won't vouch for the quality of what I have written. I suppose that my opinion of it all is not necessarily the final word. I find often that others hold my efforts in higher regard. The point is not quantity or quality anyway. What it's about is type.

I've been able to do tolerably well writing tweets, and I have not missed a day with this blog, although the difference between me writing this every day and not is akin to the difference between one's chances of winning the lottery with a ticket and without. What I have not had any luck with is writing sketch comedy. I had made considerable progress with that over the last year. I think I was getting better, anyway. It culminated with my challenge to write thirty sketches in September.

I did it, of course. I wrote thirty sketches in thirty days, and more of them were worth something than I would have guessed. Half of them or more had something in them worth pursuing. I haven't pursued them, though. I haven't manage to effect a real re-write of any of them or of the sketches I had in development prior. I haven't written anything new, either. I'm not sure of what the reason is except that I let myself slip out of the habit of writing sketches.

I have started plenty of days meaning to right the ship, but it hasn't worked out that way yet. One problem is that I haven't gotten ahead enough on other writing to let myself focus on sketches all day. Another is that I haven't dedicated regular time to sketches. I think those are the key things. If I just re-establish the routine I had, it will come. There will be much wringing of hands and tearing out of hair, but it will come.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

You have so much going on! Tough stuff! But then again you are pretty tough, too!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?