Sunday, June 10, 2012

Took A Hike

I haven't done enough hiking since I came to LA, which I must lamentably admit was some four or five years ago. I do hike when I'm with my father, but that is never here in town. Only when friends suggest it do I go along with it, although I do go along enthusiastically enough. Maybe I'm a little bit hiked out, having done as much as I did as a Boy Scout. I can take a little here and there, but somehow most of those excursions with friends do not adequately entice me.

The other day three of us went and hiked somewhere near where the Hollywood sign is, although we did not go straight to it. There's a way of getting closer, but even then you can't get near enough to lay hands on in. In any event, this was a different hike. It was rather brief, and that was all right by me. It was a warm day, and while that's something I'm as used to as the hiking, it's nothing I feel compelled to subject myself to much anymore.

We didn't come across too many people, which was all right also. I have never been much for hikes that feel like shuffling through a shopping mall concourse. This was a fine hike, though. We saw a lizard which I graded as small to medium-sized, but my friends regarded it as a large one. I found the benchmark  up at the top of the hike, and forced my friends to look at it as though they could be as interested as I was in it.

There are some funny things about even such activities as hiking around here. There are these horrible-looking cut-off buses that roll around town taking tourists to see sights. I guess that from one of the neighborhood roads near our trailhead brings you within sight of the sign. We kept waving at them and misrepresenting each other as celebrities. That was almost as fun as passing judgement on the comically mis-written estate sale sign we found around there. Is it an affront to the dead to make light of an estate sale sign?

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Once a Nature lodge director, always a nature lodge director! Getting your friends to study a d judge lizard sizes obviously comes to you honestly!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?