Friday, June 29, 2012

Do It And Learn

There's just no telling some people some things. They won't accept them- won't believe them. Very young people are apt to be like this, and moderately young people like myself are all too often (or perhaps that is just me). It is necessary to experience many things for oneself, and it is truly doing a disservice to try intervening in an effort to prevent that. I'm content now to allow people the opportunity to find things out the painful way.

I myself go through that plenty. There was the film "Sucker Punch", which I knew from many reviews was likely to be terrible. I was convinced that there must be something to it that would make it worth watching. I thought that at the very least there would be some spectacle or titillation that would justify the time invested, but there was not. I might have even been told that there was not, but I had to find out anyway.

The same was true of a beer available at a local bar. It's mainly available only back east, and people from there have such a demand for it that it costs considerably more than most domestic beers. The rarity and the cost contribute to create unreachable expectations. I had to have one, even though I knew that it was likely to be a pricey letdown. I knew from many people that the widespread enthusiasm was just from nostalgia that I could never share, but I had to have one.

Someday perhaps I will learn. I may begin at long last to trust the word of good, knowledgeable friends who know what I am likely to like and what I am not. I could save myself hours from bad movies, and a fortune in substandard food and drink. It all depends on my ability to swallow my pride and to put my faith in my fellow man. Until that day comes, I will just have no choice but to go with my stubborn instincts.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

True for us all!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?