Monday, June 18, 2012

She Glows

I was sitting in a club (as it was functioning that night, though usually it is a bar geared towards music and dance performances). I was, at times, dancing along with the others, and drinking my fair share. As is my way though, I sometimes was again the man on the outside looking in on people more adept at all of those things than I. It's funny how you can be doing well for a while, and then suddenly not be. It's something like riding a bull.

During one of those moments when I was dusting myself off, I caught side of a woman who was there as part of the same birthday celebration that I was. We had what is ordinarily the stage sectioned off as a sort of VIP section, and I was sitting a bit away from her with my drink. She was on her phone. I am also accustomed to using my phone as a surrogate for proper socializing during such times, so it was something to see what that looks like.

The glow of the phone lit her face up in a particular way. I found it rather dream-like, the effect that was created. It looked the way one's face might look when peering at the moon through a window, only her downcast gaze would have placed her well about the moon's place in orbit around the Earth. Naturally, I was not about to employ my ordinarily thorough and lingering people-watching techniques on a "friendly", but what I noticed with a glance was rather interesting.

I do wonder what I must look like under similar circumstances. I try, as I assume others do, to check my phone and do other things of the like when no one is looking. Things like that undermine the apparent coolness of whoever does then, or so I believed. The way that woman looked in that moment was anything but uncool. Perhaps I ought to explore whether or not such activities are doing things for me and not against me. Notable results will naturally be forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?