Monday, July 25, 2011

I'm Hurt. My Shirt?

I put some thought into what I wear every day. I consider what is most sensible given the weather and my anticipated engagements. I pick something and go on with my day. With most of the garments, it goes no further than that, but sometimes there is more with the shirt I pick. I'll be out doing something and thinking least of all about what my shirt says, and then it'll be the first thing someone notices. They'll say something about it, and I have to think for a bit before I even know what they mean. Even then I don't know really why that's what they want to talk about.

So it was the other day. I had picked out a shirt which advocates drinking vodka until one blacks out. I don't personally do that, but it amuses me enough to wear the shirt. I didn't buy it and likely never would have, but after receiving it as a gift, I liked it enough to put it into rotation. I still don't really related to anyone who earnestly supports its message. I hate to sound like some hipster, but my wearing of it is more ironic than not (and I can't be a hipster if I don't want to be, can I?).

In any case, I was wearing this shirt and walking past an apartment building adjacent to my own when a pair of gentleman and a lady engaged me in conversation. The lady in particularly seemed tickled by my shirt because, as she said, she really liked vodka. The two gentlemen supported her on this all the way, and I found myself all the more ill at ease for their strong enthusiasm. I politely accepted the compliment and moved on. I was rather disconcerted.

They were not even the only ones to have such a reaction that day. A bus driver in perhaps her forties was likewise entertained by the shirt, although whether this was influenced by an affinity for vodka I can't say. She was or at least seemed sober that moment. I guess you have to think about the possible consequences of wearing a shirt like that. I have thoughts more and more about purging my wardrobe of garments with writing or graphics on them. I don't want my clothes to be the focus of people's attention when they encounter me. That's what my wild, voluminous hair is for- or maybe my personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?