Saturday, July 2, 2011

I Done It!

I happen to have recently come into something of a windfall recently. A roommate, finding that circumstances would prevent him from consuming a dozen eggs he had just bought, granted them to me. I have not bought eggs from the grocery store in some time, finding as I did that a dozen eggs that I buy with the best of intentions invariably are ignored and spoil. I may be changing my stance on that now as a result of a good experience.

I like hard-boiled eggs quite a bit. Inexplicably, in seeking them out at restaurants I have found that either they can't get them right or they just don't do them. Poached eggs are not the same thing. I've learned my lesson: hard-boiled eggs cannot be had with confidence at a restaurant. Since I could only trust the ones I made myself, I just couldn't have any. That just ended, as I've decided that I can muster the energy to cook them after all.

I had to fumble my way through the execution of directions found online. I was not entirely confident in the moment. At every turn, I found myself doing something that to my mind approximated the directions of someone I imagine to be an authority of some kind on the gustatory arts. I kept figuring that it was good enough, but that what I was doing could certainly result in utter calamity. It was touch and go there for a while, make no mistake about it.

I may have made a mistake or two, but let me tell you the bottom line. I hard-boiled a dozen eggs and they all came out edible. Clearly this is the start of a real trend for me. I expect as I said that I will be doing more eggs. I even may be able to carry out some other nearly foolproof dishes. On the day I write this, I got an awful lot done, but I take more pride in the making of the eggs than any of the rest. This was a real red letter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?