Friday, June 3, 2011

Commando Cook

I believe that I have made it clear that my natural inclination where food is concerned is to keep it simple and cheap. I favor meals that are pre-made or consist of at most three ingredients which can be combined with a bare minimum of effort and thought. This is what I do, but I appreciate that it is probably not what is best for me. Indeed, it is not even to a substantial degree what I want. I just do what is easy. Every now and then however, a little miracle happens and I manage by chance to have an excellent home-cooked meal.

What is required is an outside element. Specifically a roommate or other friend must compel me to do more. I am not a slacker who won't do anything himself or a misogynist who expects a woman to do the cooking. I just have to be nudged into it, and suddenly I'm surprising myself with previously unknown abilities in the kitchen. I can't do anything conventionally regarded as difficult, but easy to moderate dishes are within my reach.

These people who swoop in like Special Forces operatives and enlist me in a cooking campaign are really something. Actually, I was thinking of them as being like angels, but clearly my subconscious mind has a more militaristic view on things. Can it be that someone who employs stealth and brute force to achieve their goals also be adorned by the heavenly glow of those who do God's work? I think they can, and I am eternally grateful.

It is my hope that their ministrations will unearth in me the motivation to be the man who learns to fish and eats for a lifetime as opposed to he who is given a fish and eats for a day. So far this has not come to pass, but I suspect that the love of a good woman could work miracles. For her I would definitely make chicken and rice with vegetables on the side. I honestly don't know that I would want to be with a woman as content to eat frozen burritos as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?