Saturday, June 25, 2011

Allowed To Crowd?

There is something unpleasant that, as a result of my move in November, I have not had to do in some time. I had about forgotten about it. You see, I no longer have cause very often to travel north of the subway station here in the neighborhood. I used to have to everyday, as I lived up there. The unpleasantness comes when one has to get on the bus by that station. Many people transfer from the subway to the northbound bus- far more than the present frequency can comfortably accommodate. The result is buses packed more densely than a moving van.

I did have to ride that bus the other day, and the experience was the same as ever. It is idle outside the subway station for what feels like ten minutes as rider after rider jams themselves in. A palpable feeling of anxiety builds as the fear quickly develops that I may not be able to elbow my way to the exit in time to get out at my stop. I curse myself for not parking myself fright by the exit to begin with. It's deeply unpleasant, that ride.

As potent the negative feeling of riding that bus is, so potent is the relief at exiting. I manage to get past the half dozen people clogging the aisle and exit area without hurting or angering anyone, and burst through the door onto the sidewalk. I exhale deeply and take several moments to decompress. I feel like someone must when they run with the bulls and walk away unharmed. I thank God for answering my urgent prayers and freeing me from that clown car, and shakily go on with my day.

There's got to be a way of preventing such a thing from happening. The people who run the transit agency (who I would be surprised to discover are dedicated public servants and not dispassionate mercenaries enduring the position for exorbitant compensation and perks) allege that they adjust the system to place resources where needed, but I know that can't be true when that bus line has been so exceptionally overwhelmed at rush hour every work day for the nearly three years I have been in the area. Until that changes, we suffocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?