Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Shower Power

I just can't do without a shower. That is to say that I can't in the ordinary course of a normal day. I can certainly cope under certain circumstances, such as camping (after all, I went unclean on camping trips around once a month most of my childhood and adolescence as a result of Boy Scouts). Otherwise though, I must have a shower before I put in my contacts, and I must have those before I leave the house. At home I can count on the shower happening as I would like. Anywhere else there are no assurances, even at the finest of hotels.

It's not that it is a worse shower. It's just different in a myriad of ways. It's probably a better shower, but it's not mine. This one to which I am now referring is quite spacious- too spacious. I could get lost. It has no bathtub, and while I doubt I would use one, I am accustomed to one being there. This shower has its own controls for temperature and water flow, the latter of which is not substantial. I guess that's fine, and we must conserve, but it's off-putting.

Must I even get into the soaps, shampoos and so forth? Those who don't know me or haven't seen me lately must be informed that I have rather long, thick and curly hair. It takes a lot of water to actually get wet, and it takes a lot of either shampoo or conditioner to actually clean it. As I found, it more or less takes all of a hotel-sized shampoo and then some. Would that I could have had the large and cumbersome bottles of my own shampoo and conditioner- they are meant for my type of hair specifically in addition to being in ample supply.

These are mainly just quibbles. I must grant credit to the hotel for one thing I don't have and almost never have, within my reach though they are: fresh, clean towels. I mean ones that at least appear never used. I do clean my own, so perhaps the difference lies in the frequency or the fact that for all I know these particular ones really are new. The towels help. Otherwise, I would call it decisively in favor of my own bathroom, and don't even get me started on my bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?