Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Big City

I was pretty intimidated by LA when I first came. That's understandable, I'm sure. I was also rather awed by Chicago when I went there for school, Columbus on spring break (!) and shortly before that had similar reactions to Seattle and Portland. Somehow I can make sense of all of those and don't have any sense that I am an easily impressed rube as a result of my response to those various cities. How could I be? I'm from Phoenix, which is no jerkwater (numbers-wise, if not socially). How is it then, that I was so struck by the least nationally prominent population center yet, Jacksonville?

As with Seattle, my time was measurable in hours, so it was only the big picture that I was getting. We drove in on the highway from the south of Florida, and I was a little surprised by how 'big city' the place feels from such vantage point. We were there because my aunt lives and works there, and her home is in a taller, larger building than any I can remember living in in any of the aforementioned places. It was also surrounded by taller and larger buildings.

Now, why was I blindsided? I guess that Jacksonville just doesn't cry out demanding attention. The LAs, Chicagos, New Yorks and Bostons do that, and consequently I think much more about them. Even in the south, I'm more inclined to devote my thoughts to places like Atlanta, Columbia, Montgomery, Birmingham and Savannah. Even within the state of Florida, my thoughts turn more to Miami, Orlando, Gainesville and Tampa. Always escaping notice is that stealthy metropolis Jacksonville. Why is that?

I propose that it is by design. Big cities face big city problems, and everyone finds out about them. Each known city I have mentioned eventually faces national or internation criticism if not humiliation. It was none of my concern that New York had a blizzard and couldn't clear the snow, but I found out all about it and frowned on them severely. No doubt they wished that they were regarded as unworthy of attention and could have had their snow crisis in private. Jacksonville has learned that lesson well, and thrives in the absence of attention. I salute you, City In The Shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?