Saturday, April 2, 2011

Show Tell

I made reference yesterday to the hotel in which my family was staying during a trip to Sarasota, Florida. As I said, though it was a highly rated one, it had two flaws in evidence immediately. The television in each room was a standard definition set, and not one of very recent vintage either. I was not really dismayed by this, as I reasoned that people weren't coming to a hotel near the beach so that they could sit inside and watch television. Perhaps they'd rather be at the pool, or should I say pools- the two pools each too small to comfortably contain two persons.

Those are my only real quibbles, and given the sun's status as my most mortal enemy, I can't hold either one against the place. It really was a pretty nice place, although when my father's professional gaze was cast upon it, it wilted under his expert criticisms of its construction. He has an unceasing analytical mind, and so he can't help but see what no one else would even when trying to relax and have a good time. The minor architectural flaws of the place aside, I liked it there all right.

The lobby was reasonably well-appointed in that bright and colorful Florida boutique resort kind of style. It featured some kind of cafe and a bar, although I did not directly partake in either. Food from there was brought to me twice and I readily ate it. Our first days in that hotel, I had little opportunity to eat, and was quite ravenous. Two slices of pizza, half a grilled cheese and half a tuna sandwich were each life-saving feats in turn.

I mentioned the pool area, which was blisteringly hot and offered little in the way of aquatic respite. Why linger on that? I was very interested by the parking garage. It was warm and humid unsurprisingly, and smelled somewhat of sulphur or something like that. I probably would not have liked the place had I found myself there for more than a few moments. In the garage there were numerous flyers for various things, including the nearby-training Baltimore Orioles. Evidently the area is their territory, and I did witness some who appeared to be there for them.

Available for rent were a number of pretty-looking bicycles. I might have contemplated taking one out myself were it not for the lack of helmets. Riding one around would have been great fun, and the act of renting one might have ingratiated me with the attractive ladies who did rent them. Alas, the opportunity has passed and I will forever wonder what might have been. All in all, it was a fairly nice hotel, and parting with it was most sorrowful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?