Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Love Deeply And Fast

Something that I was taught at some time or another in service of becoming a filmmaker was that as a screenwriter, you must be able to get enthusiastic about any subject at the drop of a hat. I then said to myself that I could do that, but it was kind of a hypothetical thing. I imagined I could do it if it came to it, but at that time it hadn't. Things I was passionate about I set myself to with gusto, and things that I was indifferent to received at best a portion of my effort.

Today is another story. My attention is like a spotlight trained on the perimeter of some military installation. It's always moving, always searching, and constantly falling on something of great interest. Very much at the drop of a hat I invest myself wholeheartedly in something. Often it's a song. Those around me may be alerted by my uttering of the phrase, "Here we go". It signals the imminence of unrestrained, reckless enthusiasm for something, and woe betide he who is caught in its path unawares.

There's a fear that many have of letting their passions be exposed. Emotionally investing in things is seen by some as uncool. This was something I bought into when I was younger and somewhat less secure in myself. Then it seems that I was alone in my love for many things. I felt I had to protect myself from unflattering attention. Now I am more of the opinion that such people are the ones who are uncool and always were.

I'm reminded of some line from someone wiser who said something like, "Those who are dancing are seen as crazy by those who can't hear the music". There's a lot of truth in that, and I try to take it to heart. The world belongs to the people who sing and dance and make jokes in front of everybody without regard for what they may thing. That's sort of my elaboration on "be yourself", which by itself is not entirely helpful advice to someone adrift in society. I guess my "yourself" is not everyone's, but the key point is to ignore what people think of you to the extent that their opinions are not formed by their grasp of the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?