Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Long Bus Ride

I found it necessary to go down to Hermosa Beach, which happens to be quite a long way from me in North Hollywood. Not a big deal for someone with a car, but when you rely on public transportation, it's a chore.

There were two transfers and three buses each way. I realized when I went out to the bus stop that it was the first of the month, and I hadn't gotten the new bus pass. I resolved that I would just pay the cash fare to get to the subway station, and I could get the monthly pass when I got to one of the fare machines in the station. That's what I did, but there was an issue. To get down to Hermosa Beach, I had to take one commuter express bus each way, which costs extra. I believe I paid 1.75 the first time, and on my way back, the driver just waved me on because it was taking too long to settle and she had to get moving. Apparently something was wrong with the bus, because just when we got to my stop, the bus was met by a mechanic. I'm just glad it got as far as I was going.

These long bus rides aren't ideal, but at least you can make use of the time since you're not driving. I like to read, but sometimes I just sit and try to relax. On the express buses that go on the freeway and don't make any stops for a while, a lot of people seem to like to sleep. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that, but sometimes I do get rather sleepy. I used to fall asleep on the school bus in the mornings.

I hope I get the chance to be in that part of the south bay for pleasure. It seems like a lovely place right by the beach, but I was occupied by work and other things both of the times I went down there. Surely there will be other chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?